Introducing Office – your new go-to mobile app for getting work done
Hey Office Insiders,
I’m Ramit Arora, a PM in the Office Coherent Experiences team. Today we are excited to share a new vision for how people get work done on a phone – a new app that’s ambitious enough to simply be called Office.
This new app combines the Word, Excel, and PowerPoint apps you know and rely on, with new capabilities that take advantage of the unique strengths of mobile devices to create a simpler, yet more powerful, Office experience for your phone.
Word, Excel, and PowerPoint combined in one app:
- Create, edit, and work together on documents with others in real-time.
- Store and access documents in the cloud or on your device.
- Easily access recent and frequently used Word, Excel, PowerPoint files stored in the cloud or on your device.
- Search for documents stored in the cloud, on your phone, or across your organization (if using a work account).
Uniquely mobile ways that make content creation easier:
- Snap a picture of a document and turn it into an editable Word file with the press of a button.
- Transform a picture of a table into an Excel spreadsheet so you can work with the data.
- Design a presentation by simply selecting the pictures you want to use from your phone and let PowerPoint do the rest.
- Create automatically enhanced digital images of whiteboards and documents with Office Lens.
Quickly perform common mobile tasks with built-in Actions:
- Instantly create PDFs from photos or Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents.
- Sign PDFs using your finger.
- Quickly jot down ideas and notes with Sticky Notes.
- Easily transfer files between your phone and computer or share instantly with nearby mobile devices.
- Scan QR codes to open files and links.
Enroll in the public preview now
The Office mobile app is available in public preview, starting today for:
Ready to get started? Just download using the link above and give it a try for free. Even though you don’t need to sign-in to start using the app, signing in with your work, school, or personal Microsoft Account gives you access to your files stored in the cloud, You can even sign in with more than one account and access all of your documents in one place.
The app is currently available only on phones. Since this is a public preview, we are very interested in hearing from you about what you like, don’t like, or would like to see in the app so we encourage you to provide feedback by tapping Help & Feedback under Settings. We are continuously working to further integrate the app in the Office experience and add capabilities to make your phone an even more powerful productivity tool.
You may wonder what this means for the current mobile apps. We are fully committed to supporting the existing Word, Excel, and PowerPoint mobile apps. We appreciate that millions of people use and depend on these apps today, and we will continue to invest in them. However, we do encourage you to give the new Office app a try – and then decide which one best meet your needs.
NOTE: Downloading the new Office app does not give you access to Office Insider builds – it gives you access to the Preview app. If you are already getting Office Insider builds of Word, Excel, and/or PowerPoint mobile, you can install the new Office app Preview and use them side-by-side. Find out more about how to join the Office Insider program by checking this page for Android and this page for iOS.
Comments are closed.